A sock puppet is an online identity that can be used for deception, privacy, or operational security (OPSEC) by investigators, journalists, or penetration testers.
Stay One Step Ahead of Cyber Threats
OPSEC protects both the investigator and the target when evidence doesn’t lead anywhere.
7 Steps to Set Up a Sock Puppet
- Use a dedicated computer for investigations.
- Use an encrypted email service like Proton Mail.
- Get a burner phone number or a Wi-Fi phone number.
- Create a social media profile on a platform where your target is most active.
- Set up a few virtual machines.
- Create a blog or website (using free platforms like WordPress, Blogger, or Medium).
- Use a VPN.
Articles to Assist in Creating Sock Puppets
- The Art of the Sock (article)
- Reddit user’s process for setting up anonymous sockpuppet accounts
- Fake Name Generator
- This Person Does Not Exist
- Use privacy.com to get a burner credit card
- Video on the process
"Amateurs hack systems, professionals hack people."
-- Bruce Schneier, a renown computer security professional